Our dear redheaded U.S Snowboarder did it again!! You got that right, Shaun White won the gold defending his title as champion in the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. Keep reading to know more about this exciting news, his biography and some of Shaun White’s photos and video below.
Shaun White won the gold at these Olympics and he sure did it with style and personality, his double McTwist made his performance memorable and his amazing snowboarding skills invincible.
Shaun was born in San Diego, California on September 3, 1986. His parents are Roger and Cathy White. He has a sister Kari and brother Jesse. Shaun started skating when he was just four in an attempt to follow in his big bother’s footsteps. Shaun was fearless and unstoppable and Cathy feared for him so she gave him a snowboard to try to keep it slow, but it didn’t quite work that way.
Shaun was so good that his parents had to drive as often as they could to help Shaun with his training, they would actually sleep in their van. When Shaun was seven, Cathy sent a homemade video to this company that was launching a kids snowboarding line, they were impressed by the tape and gave Shaun their sponsorship right away. As a teenager he won several National titles, but when he got into the big leagues, the world welcomed a new champion.
Shaun won the gold in the halfpipe at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino, won 1st (Halfpipe) and 3rd (slopestyle) at the 2007 Burton US Open. He was the champion at the 2008 U.S. Open Snowboarding Championships.
He won the 2009 Superpipe in the Winter X Games 13 and winner of the FIS World Cup in the halfpipe event. A double Mc Twist 1260 were some of the maneuvers that helped him win the gold in January 2010. A perfect double Mc Twist 1260 helped him once again obtain a victory at the 2010 Winter Olympics, scoring 46.8, which gave him the gold in the first run.
Things to know about Shaun White.
- He was born with a heart defect and he had to have two open heart surgeries before he was one.
- He had to use leg braces at night to correct his bow-legged problem.
- He won the 2007 Summer X Games title.
- Some of his sponsors are Burton Snowboards, Red Bull, Oakley, AC Retro, Adio, Birdhouse, HP, Park City Resort and Target.
- Shaun is also known as “The flying Tomato” and “Animal”.
- He was editor of the Feb. 2008 issue of Snowboarding Magazine.
- He was part of the cast in the 2005 film “First Descent”.
- He also starred in the film that looks back into his Olympic career after his 1st gold medal called “Don’t look Down”.
- Two time TransWorld Snowboarding Rider of the year Winner.
Our dear Shaun White will definitely be adding titles and medals for many yeas to come and we will for sure be watching over this incredible U.S Snowboarder. Take a look at some of Shaun White’s photos and video below.
Shaun White Video.
Photos: Jody Cortes/WENN, HRC/WENN, Fayes Vision/ WENN, Adriana M. Barraza/ WENN, Aaron D. Settipane/ WENN, www.wenn.com