The Oscar De La Hoya vs Manny Pacquiao fight was dominated by Pacquiao from the start. See photos and video below.
Oscar De La Hoya just couldn’t compete with Manny Pacquiao. The fight, which was held at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, was over after the 8th round, when De La Hoya took the advice of his trainers and did not continue. He went over and congratulated Pacquiao, to which the Filipino said:
“You’re still my idol.” De La Hoya responded, “No, you’re my idol.”
Pacquiao, who moved up to the welterweight class to fight De La Hoya, proved that his speed and power was too much for the Golden Boy to handle, and it was visible by De La Hoya’s swollen left eye at the end of the 8th round that there was no reason why the fight should go on.
Tale of the punches:
• TOTAL PUNCHES THROWN: Pacquiao 585, De La Hoya 402.
• TOTAL PUNCHES CONNECTED: Pacquiao 224, De La Hoya 83.
• TOTAL CONNECT PERCENTAGE: Pacquaio 38 percent, De La Hoya 21 percent.
• JABS THROWN: Pacquiao 252, De La Hoya 238.
• JABS CONNECTED: De La Hoya 32, Pacquiao 29.
• JAB CONNECT PERCENTAGE: De La Hoya 13 percent, Pacquiao 12 percent.
• POWER PUNCHES THROWN: Pacquiao 333, De La Hoya 164.
• POWER PUNCHES CONNECTED: Pacquiao 195, De La Hoya 51.
• POWER PUNCH CONNECT PERCENTAGE: Pacquiao 59 percent, De La Hoya 31 percent.
Two out of the three judges for tonight’s fight gave all eight rounds to Pacquiao, while one judge scored only the first round in De La Hoya’s favor.
De La Hoya weighed in at 147 pounds, while Pacquiao was 148.5 pounds. The Filipino earned a guaranteed $11 million for the fight, while De La Hoya will make more than twice that once the final numbers come in for pay-per-view revenues.
See photos and video of Oscar De La Hoya and Manny Pacquiao below.
Oscar De La Hoya Manny Pacquiao Video